2012 Democracy@america Citizen-Filmmaker Short Film Challenge
2012 Citizen-Filmmaker Challenge
What does democracy mean to you? Share your thoughts and feelings on democracy by making a short film. Submit a winning 3-minute film and receive seed money to turn your dreams into reality.
This event is hosted by @america and the U.S. Embassy Jakarta. Award winning filmmaker Adhyatmika will lead citizen-filmmakers in a workshop and screening. This free event and filmmaking challenge is open to all Indonesians.
- Participants must register their team name and members (2 to 5 persons per team) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before 12:00 pm, November 4. (If the space is available, participants may register on arrival on November 4.)
- Each film has a maximum duration of 3 minutes. Any film over 3 minutes will be automatically disqualified.
- The film genre could be fiction or non-fiction, interview or personal narrative.
- The film may be in English or Bahasa Indonesia. Films in Bahasa Indonesia must have English subtitles.
- The theme name for each film: "the role of___in a democracy" (all lower case letters, please).
- On November 4, each team will pick 3 themes by random drawing. After picking 3 themes, each team will choose one to make their film.
- Each film will be entitled "the role of ____ in a democracy."
- Each team must include 3 representations in their film: a scene at @america including its logo; a representation or figure of the Pancasila; and a ballot box of any kind.
- The participants must upload their 3-minute video through Youtube anytime before 12:00 pm, Tuesday, November 6th 2012. This is a firm deadline. After uploading, email the Youtube URL to email@example.com
Selection and Submission
- A panel of filmmakers and U.S. Embassy officials will choose three winning films.
- Top 10 films will be screened in the Election Day, 7 November 2012, 8.30 am at @america.
- Top three winning submissions will receive USD $700, $500, and $300 to fund a longer film of their choice.
- Participants must bring their own filmming equipment (camera, tripod, etc.). Participants are prohibited from bringing editing equipment (laptop, etc) on the first day of the challenge.
- The film will be judged on the creativity of the ideas and message rather than its technical merit.
- All submissions must be an original work and filmsmust be made during the event.
- The film must not contain material that violates or infringes another's rights, living or deceased, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement.
- The film must not feature brand names or trademarks other than @america for which entrant has a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use for the sole purpose of creating and entering a Submission in this Contest (any and all other rights and license to use the @america name, logo or other intellectual property are strictly prohibited).
- All footage and music contained in the film must be properly licensed, in the public domain or created by entrant.
- The short film must be suitable for publication in a public forum for people aged 15 and older and may not contain nudity, profanity, threats of physical violence, racism, or material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the film is created.
- @america retains the rights of the submitted works and have the rights to use it in future events.
- The U.S. Embassy has the right to disqualify films and revoke prizes if the films violate the rules and guidelines.
- If there are any extraordinary circumstances, outside the guidelines, that occur during the event, the programmer, @america, and the U.S. Embassy official may change rules and guidelines as appropriate.
- The participants register their team name and members' names to firstname.lastname@example.org before 12:00 pm, November 4. If space is available, the participantsmay register on arrival based on a first come first serve basis.
- The Participants attend the 2012 Citizen-Filmmaker Challenge Workshop and briefing at 1:00 pm on Sunday, November 4 led by filmmaker Adhyatmika.
- The theme ("the role of ___ in a democracy") and the mandatory clues (a scene at @america including its logo, a representation or figure of the Pancasila and a ballot box) will be chosen at random by the participants on the first day during the briefing.
- The participants must upload their 3-minute video through Youtube by Tuesday, November 6 2012 before 12 pm. After uploading, email the Youtube URL to email@example.com.(There will be only 15 minutes compensation for the late submissions.)
- Top 10 films will be screened in Election Day, 7November 2012 and the three winners will be announced.